Woman, dog escape morning blaze in Beloit
Faulty extension cord caused couch to catch fire
BELOIT, Wis. — Fire officials said Natasha Weberg had to jump out of a window to escape a fire in Beloit early Friday morning.
Firefighters were called to the scene in the 2000 block of Jackson Street about 12:30 a.m. Friday.
According to the fire department, an extension cord failure caused a couch to ignite in the living room of the home, causing extensive smoke damage throughout the first floor.
Weberg said she woke up to see thick clouds of smoke rolling into her bedroom.
She kicked the screen out of her bedroom window, helped her dog Harley out and then climbed out behind him.
Damage is estimated at $40,000 to the home, and $15,000 to items inside the home.
Family and friends are collecting donations to help Weberg. A fund is set up at Blackhawk Bank in Beloit.
Donations can be sent to: Natasha Weberg Fire Fund, 400 Broad St., Beloit, WI, 53511 or call 608-346-8911.