West Side Condo Fire Caused By Child Playing With Lighter
Madison fire officials have determined a child playing with a lighter caused a fire that extensively damaged a series of condominiums on the city’s southwest side earlier this month.
The blaze at a building in the 1100 block of Morraine View Drive occurred during the afternoon of Dec. 9, and left seven families homeless, according to the Madison Fire Department.
The fire caused extensive damage to the 8-unit condominium complex. The fire started in a bedroom on the second floor of the complex.
No one was hurt by the fire.
The child and the family have been referred to the Fire department’s Children and Fire Program for fire safety education, officials said.