Walker says refugee vetting procedures may be altered
MADISON, Wis. — Gov. Scott Walker said he believe the federal government may alter refugee vetting procedures despite a lawsuit filed by a Dane County man Monday.
The Dane County man, a Syrian refugee that’s been in America since May of 2016, has applied to get asylum for his wife and daughter. His attorney told News 3 Monday that both of their asylum applications have been suspended since President Donald Trump signed the executive order related to immigration last month.
Walker said he thought the refugee vetting process would be altered because of other recent court decisions.
“I would imagine they’re going to alter it because the administration says they’re not going to appeal to the Court of Appeals at the federal level so it’s going to be slightly altered based on those court opinions,” Walker said. “As long as they’re safe, I’ve got no problem with refugees. I just want to make sure people are safe coming in.”
But the refugee’s attorney told News 3 Monday that the prior court decision has not changed any operations in Washington and that vetting has not resumed for refugees in the pipeline.
When asked whether he thought vetting should continue, Walker said he was concerned only about safety.
“My priority as governor of Wisconsin is I just want to make sure whatever they use, whether they restart it, scrap it, start up with another format, whatever it might be, I think I and other governors and some in the past along party lines have said we want to ensure that security is the No. 1 priority of whatever system they have,” Walker said.
Attorneys have asked a federal judge in Madison for an expedited hearing, and to block the portions of the executive order that apply to refugee vetting.