Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: ‘This is now on our radar’
Lake Delton police continue investigation
WEST BARABOO, Wis. — In an interview with News 3 Thursday, a Baraboo-area veterinarian credited a couple’s quick action for preventing tragedy after their dog, Clarice, swallowed six nails wrapped in hot dogs placed outside an apartment complex.
Additionally, the director of the Wisconsin branch of the Humane Society of the United States said the case of the Yorkshire terrier mix has the organization taking a look at similar cases that have occurred in Wisconsin to see if there’s a troubling trend.
The dog’s owner, Tom Deakin, said Wednesday that he believes the hot dogs were intentionally placed in and around the Canyon Pointe apartment complex in Lake Delton. Police said Thursday they’re continuing to investigate the case.
Dr. Michael Dobbert, a veterinarian at Hill-Dale Veterinary Hospital in West Baraboo, said had Deakin and his girlfriend, Jennifer Ramos, not learned of the problem quickly, Clarice could have died.
“One of those nails could have gone through either the stomach or part of the intestines and caused a lot of infection, made her pretty sick and some bad things could have happened, to say the least,” Dobbert said. “The fact that Clarice’s owner kept a real close eye, knew something was wrong, was talking to people, knew something was wrong early, we were able to take those nails out with no problem.”
Clarice required more than $3,000 worth of surgery to remove the nails from her stomach. Ramos set up a GoFundMe page to help pay the veterinary bills; as of Wednesday evening, donors have raised nearly $1,800 for Clarice.
Melissa Tedrowe, who heads the Wisconsin branch of the Humane Society of the United States, said Clarice’s case is now “on (the group’s) radar.”
Tedrowe said the group wants to figure out if similar incidents across the state over the past year constitute a larger trend. The group said it does not have any statistics right now to show that there is a rise in dog poisoning cases, but it wants to dig deeper into the issue.
“We need to understand what’s going on,” Tedrowe said.
Dobbert said this latest incident should serve as a reminder to dog owners that they should practice common sense and remain vigilant while their dog is outside.
“If something doesn’t seem right, ask some questions or come into your vet and talk about it,” Dobbert said.
Lake Delton police are asking anyone with information on the case to contact the department at 608-254-7571.
Tedrowe said the HSUS plans to contact investigators about the possibility of offering a monetary reward for information leading to an arrest.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.