UW student cited for starting fire in residence hall

UW student cited for starting fire in residence hall

A University of Wisconsin-Madison student was cited after a fire in a residence hall early Friday morning, according to a news release from the Madison fire department.

Fire officials said they were called to Witte Residence Hall around 2:00 a.m. for a fire alarm. UWPD told firefighters there was smoke on the second floor, causing firefighters to call for a full structure fire response.

When fire officials got to the second floor, they didn’t see smoke but found scorch marks on a bulletin board near an elevator, the release said.

UWPD investigated the incident and cited the student responsible for the incident, who told police he was very intoxicated at the time, the release said.