Unattended cooking oil causes second kitchen fire in Madison this week, fire department says

Madison Fire Department
WISC-TV/Channel3000.com

MADISON, Wis. — Unattended cooking oil is being blamed for a second kitchen fire in Madison this week, according to the city’s fire department.

The latest fire happened Wednesday night at a home in the 2600 block of Waltham Road on the city’s southwest side. In a news release Thursday afternoon, the Madison Fire Department said a pan of oil on a cooktop started on fire before spreading to a microwave.

Firefighters got to the home around 8:20 p.m. to find smoke coming from the home’s eaves and front door. As they were about to force their way inside, the homeowner showed up with keys to let them in.

Crews quickly put out the flames with a water can; no injuries were reported, the fire department said.

RELATED: East Madison cooking oil fire causes $15K in damage, displaces 3

On Monday night, a fire also caused by unattended cooking oil displaced three people from a home on Vernon Avenue on the city’s east side. That fire caused an estimated $15,000 in damage.