Torch used for bathroom plumbing starts apartment fire, leads to $35,000 in damage
MADISON, Wis. — A torch that started an apartment fire caused $35,000 in damage Wednesday morning, officials said.
According to an incident report from the Madison Fire Department, firefighters were sent to the 500 block of Northport Drive at around 9:30 a.m. after reports of a structure fire.
Officials said maintenance workers were using a torch to work on bathroom plumbing and called 911 after seeing smoke within a wall. The report said residents safely evacuated the 8-unit apartment complex after the fire alarm went off.
Madison Fire said crews entered a second floor apartment and saw the smoke. Officials said the fire had gone up the wall and into the attic area.
The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes.
Firefighters said no one was injured, but the residents have been displaced until Madison Gas and Electric restores power to the units.
Officials notified Red Cross to help with temporary housing and emergency needs.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.