Toddler dead in Ram Hotel apartment fire, Portage police say

Toddler dead in Ram Hotel apartment fire, Portage police say

Portage police confirmed that one toddler is dead following a fire at the Ram Hotel apartments Sunday morning.

According to a press release from the Portage Police Department, officers received a call reporting the fire at 9:53 a.m. at the Historic Apartments, also known as the Ram Hotel, in the 200 block of West Cook Street.

The release said officers arrived to find common area hallways and the staircase filled with heavy smoke. Officials told News 3 that flames were visible when crews arrived at the apartments.

Two fire departments, four emergency medical services agencies and the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office are responding to the scene.

According to the release, officers helped residents evacuate.

Officers were informed of a toddler possibly trapped on the fifth floor, but, due to fire and smoke, officers could not reach the child, the release said.

Portage Firefighters were able to access the fifth floor to locate and remove the child.

Police said in the release that the child was transported to Divine Savoir Healthcare, where the child later died.

The Red Cross said it is up to 60 residents impacted by the fire.

Portage apartment building fire: Red Cross volunteers are working with up to 60 residents impacted by a fire at a 5-story building at 207 W. Cook St., downtown Portage. Updates on care/lodging/numbers to come as available.

— Red Cross – Wisconsin (@RedCrossWIS) May 20, 2018

The fire caused officials to close U.S. Highway 51 and Wisconsin Highway 16 between Wisconsin Highway 33 and Conant Street Sunday morning, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

The Portage police and fire departments are continuing to investigate the fatal fire.

This is a developing story. Stay with News 3 for more information.