Thousands of CrossFit enthusiasts visit Madison as 2022 games kick off
MADISON, Wis. – The official opening ceremony for the CrossFit games introduced spectators to elite athletes of all ages and abilities from over 40 counties across the world Thursday afternoon.
For the last five years, Madison played host to the event where hundreds compete in a series of fitness challenges to earn the title of Fittest on Earth.
Ana Mendes made the 12-hour trip from Brazil with her husband Igor Tupinamba to see her father-in-law Osvaldo Tupinamba compete.
“We know he is really working a lot trying to his best,” Mendes said. “We’re nervous for sure but it’s really nice to be here. He’s an inspiration for us.”
The family said they are also taking time to enjoy the city of Madison, and though it was harder to find a place to stay this year and the bookings were a little more expensive, they’ll be back next year.
Destination Madison estimates the CrossFit crowd brings in an extra $12 million dollars to the Madison area each year.
The final day of the games on Sunday will air on WISC-TV from noon to 2 p.m.
To learn more about the event, click here.
- Former Badgers competing in CrossFit Games
- Roads in downtown Madison to be closed Friday for CrossFit Games event
- CrossFit staff install finishing touches to ready Alliant for 2022 Games
- In the 608: NOBULL CrossFit Games return to Madison
- ‘We’ve been really pleased with the city’: CrossFit Games to return to Madison in 2023
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.