Swan song: Dane County Humane Society raising funds for injured swan
MADISON, Wis. — The Dane County Humane Society Wildlife Center is trying to raise $1,710 to treat a swan that is suffering from lead poisoning.
The swan was found New Year’s Eve on Lake Mendota. The Wildlife Center reports the swan was on the lake during a particularly cold night, all alone, and showing signs of distress. Neighbors were worried she would freeze to death.
After taking in the swan for testing, the Wildlife Center said the swan is suffering from dangerously high levels of lead, and has a foreign object that looks like fishing tackle in her stomach.
The Humane Society is concerned the bird will die from the lead poisoning, and is trying to raise $1,710 to treat the bird in time. The funds will go to diagnostic testing, the procedure to remove the fishing tackle from her stomach and medication for the lead poisoning.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Veterinary Care’s Special Species Service has offered to remove the object from the swan’s stomach.
This is the second bird the Wildlife Center has treated for lead poisoning in a week The other bird was a bald eagle that died because of the lead poisoning, despite being treated by the Wildlife Center.
To donate to the swan’s medical fund, visit: https://www.giveshelter.org/swan.html
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.