Sun Prairie Fire Department helps put out garage fire after residents attempt doing so first
SUN PRAIRIE, Wis. — The Sun Prairie Fire Department put out a garage fire Friday morning after residents tried putting it out themselves first.
Firefighters were dispatched to the 2000 block of O’Keefe Ave. for a reported extinguished fire at a home, according to a release by the Sun Prairie Fire Department.
Upon arrival, crews were directed to the home’s garage. Firefighters said the garage was full of smoke and found a small fire burning in the corner, according to the release.
They requested extra crews and put out the fire using the garage’s exterior overhead door. Once the fire was out, crews worked to remove smoke and toxic gases from the home and another attached unit.
Neighbors initially alerted the residents of the home about the fire. The residents thought they successfully put the fire out themselves and failed to call 911 immediately, the release said.
Firefighters arrived on scene about an hour after the initial discovery of the fire. They determined the fire was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to the release.
The two-family residential unit was not protected with automatic fire sprinklers, but did have working smoke alerts. However the smoke alarms did not activate since the fire was contained in the garage.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.