Stove fire displaces family of 3, officials say

Fire Friday afternoon causes $14K in damage
Stove fire displaces family of 3, officials say

A family was displaced by a stove fire that caused $14,000 in damage to a Janesville home Friday afternoon, according to a release.

The Janesville Fire Department responded to a report of a possible residential fire around 2:30 p.m. in the 300 block of South Washington Street, officials said.

When crews got to the home they saw heavy smoke coming from the front door and open windows, according to the release. The tenant told crews her stove was on fire.

Crews extinguished a fire that appeared to have started on the stove and then extended to nearby walls and cabinets, officials said.

Because of extensive smoke damage the woman and her two children were not able to stay in the home.

Investigators estimated the damage to be $8,000 for the property and $6,000 for the contents.