Stove burner left unattended causes third kitchen fire in Madison in a week, fire department says

Fire truck generic
WISC-TV/Channel3000.

MADISON, Wis. — A resident on Madison’s northeast side was displaced after a fire Sunday night caused by an unattended burner on a stove, the third cooking-related fire in the city in a week, the Madison Fire Department said Tuesday.

In a news release, the fire department said firefighters were called to an apartment in the 2400 block of Columbus Lane just before 8 p.m. Sunday for a report of a fire. Building residents told crews they had forced their way into an apartment and put out a fire.

Firefighters and paramedics found heavy smoke and heat in the kitchen but no flames. After confirming the fire was out, they ventilated the apartment.

The cause of the fire was a stove burner that had been left on by the resident, who was not home at the time the fire broke out, officials said.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage.

In the week before Sunday’s fire, two other kitchen fires were reported in the city, including one on May 18 and one on May 16. Madison firefighters have responded to at least seven kitchen fires so far in May, ranging from cooking-related incidents to a plastic grocery bag catching on fire on a stove burner.