Grand Chute - Eau Claire North's Sam Stange hit a massive go-ahead homer in the bottom of the sixth inning to power the Huskies to the Division 1 state championship with 5-4 win over Sun Prairie.
Trailing 2-1 in the top of the sixth, Sun Prairie tied the game on a two-out throwing error by North shortstop Carter Hesselman. The inning continued, and Carson Shepard hit a two-run double to give the Cardinals a 4-2 lead.
Stange, a UW hockey recruit, belted a three-run shot in the bottom of the frame to give the Huskies the lead for good.
The Cardinals went down 1-2-3 in the seventh to end the game.
Sun Prairie finished 24-8 after starting the season 4-5. EC North finished 25-4.
- Help send Brewers to All-Star Game
- White hopes Badgers running back Taylor follows in his footsteps
- Wisconsin basketball lands in-state standouts Johnny & Jordan Davis
- Former Badgers back in Madison to host football camp
- Pitchers struggle as Giants beat Brewers, 8-7
- Late homer leads EC North past Sun Prairie