Grand Chute - Eau Claire North's Sam Stange hit a massive go-ahead homer in the bottom of the sixth inning to power the Huskies to the Division 1 state championship with 5-4 win over Sun Prairie.
Trailing 2-1 in the top of the sixth, Sun Prairie tied the game on a two-out throwing error by North shortstop Carter Hesselman. The inning continued, and Carson Shepard hit a two-run double to give the Cardinals a 4-2 lead.
Stange, a UW hockey recruit, belted a three-run shot in the bottom of the frame to give the Huskies the lead for good.
The Cardinals went down 1-2-3 in the seventh to end the game.
Sun Prairie finished 24-8 after starting the season 4-5. EC North finished 25-4.
- Brewers lose to Nationals, 2-1 in pitchers' duel
- Fennimore wrestler goes for bronze at Junior Worlds in Estonia
- Rodgers sits again, Packers fall to Ravens
- Matt Kenseth returns to Madison International Speedway Friday
- Former Wisconsin Badgers player Alec Ingold meets hero, former Packers player Clay Matthews
- LaFleur wants energy, Gutekunst wants improvement