Madison - Wisconsin forward Aleem Ford is out indefinitely with a knee injury. The unspecified injury occurred Monday during practice.
The Badgers say that Ford will have surgery, but is expected to return later this season.
The 6'8" Ford was expected to be the first forward off the bench for coach Greg Gard's team. He averaged 5.8 points and shot a team-high 41% from 3-point range in playing all 33 games, including 20 starts.
Ford had 19 points on 7-of-9 shooting, including 3 of 3 from three-point line, in a closed scrimmage this week against Iowa State.
Another sophomore, 6-10 Nathan Reuvers, figures to start up front next to preseason All-American Ethan Happ.
The Badgers open the exhibition season Friday night against UW-Oshkosh at the Cancer Awareness Game. Tip from the Kohl Center is scheduled for 7 p.m.
NCAA: No. 12 Oregon upsets No. 5 Wisconsin
Verona native, Beata Nelson, captures NCAA title in 200-yard individual medley
- NCAA: No. 12 Oregon upsets No. 5 Wisconsin
- Verona native, Beata Nelson, captures NCAA title in 200-yard individual medley
- ESPN: Brewers manager says 'there's reason for concern' as reliever Corey Knebel gets elbow examined
- Badger wrestlers bELIeve in each other ahead of NCAA national tournament
- Scholarship in honor of Verona man killed in crash helps basketball team go to national tournament
- Clay Matthews is going home to play for Los Angeles Rams