Speed limit on stretch of Whitney Way to be reduced as part of Vision Zero
MADISON, Wis. — The city’s next round of speed limit reductions goes into effect next week.
Starting Monday, the speed limit on Whitney Way from Raymond Road to the Beltline will be reduced from 30 mph to 25 mph. Digital signs will be temporarily placed in the area to remind drivers of the change.
The reduction, which has already been implemented on some other major city roadways, is part of the city’s Vision Zero initiative which aims to eliminate traffic fatalities by 2030.
City leaders said a 5mph reduction on the 1.1-mile stretch of Whitney Way will only change travel times by 30 seconds. According to the city, a person is 70% more likely to be killed if they’re hit by a vehicle driving at 30 mph versus 25 mph. Officials said reducing the speed on the stretch of Whitney Way will help keep nearby elementary and middle schoolers safe.
The following roads will have their speed limits reduced in the coming months:
- Cottage Grove Rd
- Drexel to State Highway 51 (reduced to 25 mph from 30 mph)
- State Highway 51 to Flora (reduced to 30 mph from 35 mph)
- Whitney Way
- Sheboygan Ave to Mineral Point Rd (reduced to 25 mph from 30 mph)
- Mineral Point Rd to Tokay Blvd (reduced to 30 mph from 35 mph)
- Mineral Point Rd from Whitney Way to Science Dr (reduced to 35 mph from 40 mph)
- Whitney Way from the Beltline to Raymond Rd (reduced to 25 mph from 30 mph)
- N Thompson Dr from Sycamore to State Highway 30 (reduced to 25 mph from 30 mph)
According to data cited by the city, 17 people suffered serious injuries and two pedestrians died on Madison roadways from 2015 to 2019. In 2021 alone, five pedestrians have been killed in traffic incidents on East Washington Avenue. The city lowered the speed limit on parts of the eastern corridor in September 2020.
More information about the Madison’s Vision Zero initiative is available on the city’s website.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.