South side car fire caused by used cigarette
MADISON, Wis. — A car was damaged Thursday after a used cigarette caught fire, Madison Fire Department officials said.
In a news release, officials said firefighters were called to the parking lot of Ho-Chunk Gaming Madison on the city’s southeast side around noon Thursday on a report of a car on fire. When firefighters arrived, they found the inside of the car coated in a dry chemical extinguisher agent.
Officials said the owner told firefighters he threw a used cigarette into a paper or styrofoam cup, which he crushed and left in the car. He told firefighters he thought the liquid in the cup would extinguish the cigarette.
The owner later found the car on fire and put it out with a fire extinguisher, the release said.
The car’s center console and part of the front seats were melted in the fire, officials said. Damage was contained to the passenger compartment.
No one was injured, the release said.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.