Smoking materials cause car fire in downtown Madison, fire officials say
A car fire in downtown Madison Monday afternoon caused thousands of dollars worth of damage, officials said.
The Madison Fire Department said crews responded to a report of a fire in the 500 block of Walnut Street at 1:28 p.m.
Firefighters arrived at the home to find visible flames from a vehicle burning within 25 feet of the building. Firefighters saw a column of smoke rising as they approached from University Avenue, according to the report. The fire appeared to be confined to the car’s passenger compartment.
Pulling their bumper line, the crew quickly applied water and foam to the vehicle, knocking down the fire, officials said. The fire didn’t extend to the engine compartment.
The fire department said the car was insured. Damage estimates was about $18,000. The fire is believed to be caused by smoking materials that were left inside the car. A bystander across the street captured video of the car burning.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.