Sheriff investigates possible carbon monoxide poisoning death

A man possibly died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the town of Springfield Monday night, and the sheriff’s office is investigating the incident, according to a news release.

The Dane County Sheriff’s Office said deputies responded to a report of a 62-year-old man who was unconscious and not breathing at 9:30 p.m. at a mobile home dealer near Waunakee.

First responders attempted to revive the man at Don’s Mobile Manor, 5441 Kalesey Court, but James Prem, of Springfield, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Prior to the call, Prem had been using a small-engine power washer and a heater in an enclosed area with no ventilation, which led investigators to believe his death may have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, the sheriff’s office said Tuesday afternoon.

The Dane County Medical Examiner’s Office conducted an autopsy Tuesday morning and said the preliminary results suggest Prem’s death is related to an accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. Additional testing is underway, and the final ruling on the cause of death will likely not be available for 12 to 16 weeks, according to a news release.

Comments

comments