School evacuated after student starts fire in classroom

School evacuated after student starts fire in classroom
Copyright 2019 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hawthorne Elementary School was briefly evacuated Friday so firefighters could ventilate the building after a student started a small fire in a classroom.

A student alerted their teacher after walking past a classroom and noticing smoke inside. The teacher then checked out the room and pulled the fire alarm after finding a small fire.

Another teacher and a custodian put out the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher. Firefighters soon arrived to help set up fans to clear the classroom and hallway of smoke and dry chemical dust. It was cleared in minutes.

The fire was put out early and no one was injured. Camera footage revealed it was a student who set the fire. The student will attend Madison Fire Department’s Juvenile Fire Setter Program, which educates first-time offenders about the dangers of playing with fire.

Comments

comments