Possible animal-euthanasia drug contamination prompts dog food recall
WHEELING, Ill. — A pet food company is recalling dog food after a dog died and testing detected an animal-euthanasia drug in some of the food.
The Federal Drug Administration said Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food of Wheeling, Illinois, voluntarily recalled its Hunk of Beef product because of a potential contaminant pentobarbital.
According to the news release, Pentobarbital was detected in one lot of Hunk of Beef Au Jus. Pentobarbital can affect animals that ingest it, and possibly cause side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance, or nausea, or in extreme cases, death. It is also used in large doses to euthanize animals.
The pentobarbital was detected in a single lot, but Evangers is voluntarily recalling Hunk of Beef products that were manufactured the same week, with lot numbers that start with 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB and 1816E13HB, and have an expiration date of June 2020. The second half of the barcode reads 20109, which can be found on the back of the product label.
The subject recall affects five lots of food that were produced from its supplier’s lot of beef, which is specifically used for the Hunk of Beef product and no other products. To date, it has been reported that four dogs became ill and one dog died after consuming the product with lot number 1816E06HB13.
According to the release, all Evanger’s suppliers of meat products are USDA approved. The beef supplier provided beef chunks from cows that were slaughtered in a USDA facility.
Evanger’s said it’s investigating how the pentobarbitol tainted the raw material supply.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.