Dog dies following Monroe St. apartment fire, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — Madison fire officials say a dog died after a fire at an apartment building early Friday morning.
Fire crews were called to the building on the 2900 block of Monroe Street just before 6:30 a.m. Friday after someone called 911 saying there was a fire in the apartment next door.
The person and her husband started knocking on doors inside the apartment building to alert other residents and help get them out of the building.
The fire department says Engine 4 was able to make their way into the third-floor apartment, which had heavy black smoke coming from the fire. Firefighters were able to put it out, but encountered a dog in the apartment in their search.
The dog was given oxygen with a specially-designed pet mask, and Madison police rushed the dog to an emergency vet clinic on the west side, but the dog later died.
The fire department says damage was contained to the single apartment where the fire was coming from, and all other residents in the building were able to return to their apartments. Officials say the people living in the apartment where the fire started were not home at the time.
The fire is still considered under investigation.
Monroe Street from Pickford to Sprague Streets was closed while crews responded.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.