Portage man found in house fire dies

Pribbenow first to die in Portage house fire in 8 years
Portage man found in house fire dies

A Portage man who was found unconscious in a house fire earlier this week has died.

Firefighters had rescued 49-year-old Joel Pribbenow from a house fire on Monday. He was unconscious, and was airlifted to a Milwaukee hospital to be treated for high levels of carbon monoxide.

A Portage Daily Register report said he died two days later.

Portage Fire Chief Clayton Simonson said Pribbenow is the first person to die in a Portage fire in at least eight years. He said the death weighs on him.

However, he also said the firefighters who responded did an excellent job. He said they fought through thick blinding smoke to get to Pribbenow.

Comments

comments