Police say Janesville woman was strangled

Police say public is not in danger in homicide investigation
Police say Janesville woman was strangled

Police are investigating a homicide Saturday after a Janesville woman was found dead inside a home.

Janesville Police said they responded to 315 West Racine Street around 3 a.m. Saturday to check the welfare of 46-year-old Traci Moyer. They found Moyer dead inside of the house.

Police said an autopsy found the cause of death was ligature strangulation.

No one has been arrested, but Moyer’s estranged husband, 54-year-old Krystopher Carlisle, was taken to Mercy Hospital after he was found in “medical distress” at the home.


Carlisle is still in the hospital and being treated, though his medical condition has not been released.

Lt. Keith Lawver with Janesville Police said an autopsy will reveal the cause of death, but police are confident they’re investigating a homicide. Investigators stress the public isn’t in danger.Deputy Chief Danny Davis with Janesville Police said it’s not immediately clear whether Carlisle played any role in the apparent homicide.

Neighbors said they have been worried about the relationship between Moyer and Carlisle in the past, but never thought it would end like this.

“Just a crying shame that it happened to a good person, you know?” Michael Buggs said.

Buggs lives next door to the house still surrounded by police tape Saturday afternoon. He said the oldest of Moyer’s two daughters knocked on his door around 2 a.m., concerned about her mother.

She explained how Moyer was supposed to pick up her younger sister from school, but didn’t show up. The daughters’ attempts at contacting Moyer went unanswered.

Buggs said he walked up to the home with Moyer’s daughter, and they called the police on the way. He said they tried to get in through the front door with no luck, but found the car running in the driveway.

Buggs explained that when police arrived, they had to break through the back door in order to get into the house. He watched Carlisle leave in an ambulance, but was shocked when Moyer didn’t come out of the house alive.

“Unfortunately, the other ambulance that was there was empty, and it left,” Buggs said. “And I just had a gut feeling that nothing was right on that part of it, you know.”

Cheryl Gent lives across the street from the scene, and knows the couple. 

“We just wanted her to come out of the house, walking, or maybe on a stretcher to an ambulance, but being alive,” Gent said. “We did not expect her to come out with the coroner.”

Gent said they were in the midst of a separation, and she was sometimes worried for the safety of Moyer and her daughters.

“I wouldn’t have dreamt it would have happened across the street from where I live. That was just too much to comprehend,” Gent said.