Partially lit cigarette sparks fire at Richland Center home

Fire truck flashing lights
WiscTV/Channel3000

RICHLAND CENTER, Wis. — Firefighters were called to a Richland Center home Sunday after a partially lit cigarette sparked a fire.

Crews were sent to a home in the 400 block of North Central Avenue. The homeowner and her dog had already evacuated the house when firefighters arrived.

The homeowner said the fire had started in the bedroom near the back of the house after the contents of an ashtray were mishandled. Richland Center Fire Department officials said the flames were quickly contained, and only the home’s detached garage was damaged.

Nobody was injured, and crews stayed on the scene for just over three hours.