Owner reunited with dog, blames Humane Society
BELOIT, Wis. — A woman has been reunited with her dog after she says a local Humane Society gave her pet to the wrong person.
“We already have one baby that is far away from us, we would like them to both be home,” said dog owner Emily Schmit.
Schmit has been in a hospital since Jan. 27. Her newborn son, Armoni, is in a neonatal intensive care unit, which is why, when she found out her dog had run away after friends were watching him, she was immediately concerned.
“It was a whole emotional roller-coaster. We were really upset, frustrated confused, wondering what we could do,” Schmit said
Monday, Schmit was reunited with one of her “children.” Her dog Prince went missing a week ago.
Beloit police found the 1-year-old pit bull the same day and gave him to the local Humane Society. Schmit said the shelter denied having the dog at first, but later that week informed her he had been picked up by someone else.
“It’s very frustrating and scary to think someone could just walk off with your dog who you have spent all this time with and is a part of your family,” she said.
Beloit police said the man who claimed the dog was developmentally disabled. He was able to give a description of Prince from a Facebook post on the department’s page. Monday, police went to the man’s house to pick the dog up after they said the Humane Society gave him to the wrong person.
“Because social media is so quick to get a photo up, a lot of those questions that would be a safeguard for us is null,” said Jim Hurley, assistant executive director of the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin.
According to Hurley, the society asks for vet records and pictures of pets, a home address, and identifying features but said few people have those and they are left to make a judgment call.
“Probably 20 percent of the animals that are redeemed have vet records. The other 80 percent of the animals we redeem and even nationwide, a good percentage don’t have that so we are relying on a photo or just a description,” Hurley said.
The Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin will not be modifying their procedures, according to Hurley. He said workers there feel bad about the situation and are encouraging pet owners to put name tags, microchips and purchase a license for their pets to easily identify them if they get lost.
The society claims this is the first time they have had an incident like this.
Now, with Prince back home and her son Armoni getting stronger, Schmit said she is one step closer to making her family whole.
“We are hopeful that within the next two or three weeks he will be home and our family will be complete,” she said.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.