One person injured in Madison apartment grease fire early Saturday morning
MADISON, Wis. — One person was hurt over the weekend after trying to put out a grease fire on Madison’s west side, according to the fire department.
The Madison Fire Department was called to the 600 block of S. Orchard Street, just east of Henry Vilas Zoo, just after 6 a.m. Saturday. The person living there reported heating up grease to make french fries and stepping away from the kitchen. When they returned, they reportedly saw flames coming from the pot and the cupboards above the stove.
A neighbor helped provide a fire extinguisher and one of the people living in the apartment was able to put out the fire, but did suffer minor injuries in the process.
The Madison Fire Department inspected the stove and surrounding areas to make sure the fire was completely out and to make sure there was no further danger. Crews reported that there were no smoke detectors in the apartment.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.