Observant construction workers help limit fire damage at Plan B Nightclub
Fire causes between $10K and $20K in damage, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — A fire at a near east side nightclub caused minimal damage thanks to an observant group of construction workers, Madison Fire Department officials said.
Just after 10 a.m. construction workers reported smoke coming through the interior wall of the business next door to 924 Williamson St., according to a release. The workers reported seeing light gray smoke inside Plan B Nightclub, so they grabbed a fire extinguisher and started looking for the cause of the smoke.
The construction workers found a cleaning lady inside the building, and after getting her outside they used a fire extinguisher on a spot in the ceiling above the bar area where smoke was coming through, officials said.
When firefighters arrived they extinguished the fire above the bar and pulled portions of the ceiling down to ensure the fire did not spread to other parts of the building, according to the release.
The fire originated in the ceiling in the bar area, and the cause appears to be accidental in nature, authorities said.
The fire caused between $10,000 and $20,000 in damage, according to the release. There were no injuries reported.
Officials said Plan B hopes to be open by New Year’s Eve.