Nose, appetite of curious black lab causes stove fire, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — The nose and appetite of a dog named Tug are believed to be the cause of a small fire in an east side home Tuesday afternoon, officials said.
A woman, who lives in the Buckeye Road area, said she found smoke throughout her house and the front of her microwave melted, according to a release. She took her black lab, who was not sick or injured, outside and called 911.
Firefighters found burned plastic and cardboard food containers on the top of the stove, as well as damage to the surrounding backsplash, countertop and microwave, officials said. Firefighters and the homeowner never saw active flames.
Certain breakers in the electrical box had been tripped, and push-button controls of the 1960s-era General Electric stove had been active, with one burner set to “HI” and three other burners set to “LO,” according to the release.
The owner believes the dog put its front paws on the top of the stove to get to the food that was sitting there and accidentally turned on the burners.
Firefighters determined the smoke detectors that never went off during the incident were inoperable and needed to be replaced, according to the release.
The woman was able to stay in her home despite the damages, officials said.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.