Discarded fireplace ashes lead to west side house fire, causing $40K in damages

Fire (6)

MADISON, Wis. — No one is injured after a house fire on Madison’s west side Saturday morning.

According to an incident report, residents in the 3800 block of Council Crest were alerted by smoke alarms going off in their home just after 9 a.m. The report also said they noticed smoke coming out of the chimney.

An updated incident report said the cause of the fire was accidental and due to improperly discarded fireplace ashes. Officials said the fire started in the basement utility room and damaged the drywall, ceiling and other contents inside.

Authorities said firefighters initiated a rapid attack on the fire and extinguished it before it spread. They also ventilated the house to help remove smoke.

According to an initial estimate, the fire caused roughly $40,000 in damages, but the residents have not been displaced. The report said two cats, a dog and guinea pig also made it out safely.