Nine-person board to conduct search for Barry Alvarez’s replacement
MADISON, Wis. — The search for a Barry Alvarez’s replacement has begun.
Alvarez announced announced his retirement Tuesday after more than 30 years with the university. He spent 17 of those years as athletic director. Now, a nine-member committee, chaired by UW Athletic Board Chair Peter Miller, will conduct the search for Alvarez’s replacement.
“We look forward to a robust and extensive search to identify the best candidate to lead the UW Athletic Department forward,” Miller said.
University officials said a new director of athletics could be hired by this summer.
UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank said Alvarez’s replacement “should be able to continue his legacy of success and make our alumni and fans across the state proud.”
“The search process will prioritize finding a new AD who embraces the university’s commitment to student-athlete well-being and success, on and off the field excellence, and our institution’s values on diversity and inclusion,” UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank says.
In addition to Miller, the search committee includes:
- Paul Chryst, head coach, Wisconsin football and UW alumnus
- Yvette Healy, head coach, Wisconsin softball
- Elzie L. Higginbottom, President/CEO, East Lake Management & Development Corp. and UW alumnus
- Ted Kellner, chairman and CEO, T&M Partners, LLC and UW alumnus
- Jeff Mack, First Vice President, Business Development/Private Bank, Park Bank, community member of the Athletic Board and UW alumnus
- Laurel Rice, chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and a professor in the Division of Gynecologic Oncology at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and past chair of the Athletic Board.
- Alando Tucker, assistant coach, Wisconsin Men’s Basketball, and UW alumnus
- Eden Rane, student-athlete, Lightweight Rowing, chair of Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, Athletic Board member.
The job listing and other information about the position were posted online Wednesday. Click here to read more.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.