MIDDLETON, Wis. - WISC-TV 3 has been named the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association's 2016 News Operation of the Year for medium markets.
The WBA announced its award winners at a banquet in Middleton on Saturday.
"We are thrilled to be named Best News Operation. Our commitment to serving the community is most important and this is a reflection of that hard work. Thank you to our viewers and readers who support our coverage," WISC-TV News Director Colin Benedict said.
In addition to being named News Operation of the Year, the News 3 team also brought home first place awards in the following categories:
- Evening Newscast: News 3 at Six
- Spot News: Interstate Shooting
- News Writing: The Wedding
- Feature: A New Normal, Dannika Lewis
- Best Use of News Video: Home for a Helicopter, Dave Delozier
- Editorial/Commentary: Reductions in Water Testing
Winners were selected by professional broadcasters from outside Wisconsin from a record 1,783 award entries.
More than 400 people attended this year's event. The full list of award winners can be found here.
News 3 was also awarded News Operation of the Year and Station of the Year last year.
- Flight diverted to Madison, Green Bay slides off runway, officials say
- Flooding continues into weekend in several Midwest states
- No survivors after Wisconsin-bound plane crashes in Indiana
- 2 critically injured in rear-end crash near Beloit, officials say
- Suicide rate falls in Wisconsin; number of gun-related suicide deaths stays above national average
- Multiple agencies respond to fire at Briess Industries in Waterloo Thursday night