MADISON, Wis. - A petition has been launched by the Friends of Scott Walker to build pressure on the NFL and its players to stand for the national anthem.
Walker wrote a letter last week calling on players to honor the national anthem and the flag.
On Tuesday, Friends of Scott Walker launched an online petition and digital ad campaign to stop the protesting.
“Don’t take away from something that should be a unifying force,” Walker has previously said. “Speaking up for what you believe in is a profoundly American idea, but disrespecting our flag, and the men and women who have fought to protect and defend our country, is not American in the slightest.”
Walker said players need to stop protesting and move on from what has become a political sideshow. He is encouraging players to use their voices and influence to take a stand against domestic violence.
- Janesville area remains resilient as national chains close
- Hundreds turn out in Milwaukee for 2nd annual Women's March
- Suspect arrested in Wisconsin shooting that killed 2, hurt 1
- How WI senators voted on the government shutdown
- Potential Oscar nominee looks back on time at UW-Milwaukee
- Man dies in house fire in northeast Wisconsin