IOWA COUNTY, Wis. - Dashcam video shows deputies arresting Iowa County District Attorney Larry Nelson for operating while intoxicated.
Officials with the Iowa County Sheriff's Office confirmed they responded to 1243 West Lake Road in Mineral Point around 8:30 a.m. Sunday after receiving an OnStar Emergency Alert.
At the scene, officials made contact with Iowa County District Attorney Larry E. Nelson who they determined was driving while impaired. The OnStar alert had came after he accidentally pushed the button in his 2017 Mercedes Benz, according to a news release from the Grant County Sheriff's Office.
"I made a terrible error of judgment. It’s a mistake that I deeply regret. I got behind the wheel of my car after drinking," Nelson said in a statement. "As this county’s prosecutor I fully understand the importance of combating drunken driving and the very real danger it creates."
Officials decided the investigation into Nelson was a conflict of interest and requested the Grant County's Sheriff's Office to get involved.
Nelson was arrested by Grant County deputies around 9 a.m. for first offense operating while intoxicated, according to the release. He was transported for further testing and later released to a responsible party.
Nelson said in the statement he plans to enter a guilty plea.
"Personally, and professionally, I am deeply ashamed by my conduct," Nelson said. "By accepting full responsibility and the penalties that are deemed appropriate, I hope to regain the community’s trust."
- Body of missing toddler found in Waupaca County river
- Consumer Reports: Make the most of your next doctor's appointment
- Security breach at Wisconsin National Guard unit; 3 arrested
- Police hope public can help find suspect in check forging case
- Driver facing 7th OWI seen swerving down road, driving into ditch, officials say
- Drunken driver admits to drinking alcohol, refuses to do field sobriety tests, troopers say