Madison, Wis. - A UW-Madison student from China is the latest person to fall victim to a phone scam.
Madison Police say the 23-year-old woman was scammed out of $27,000 this week. Police say she was convinced that she was a suspect in a money laundering case where someone had died.
The woman received multiple calls, all in her native language from people claiming to be with the Shanghai Police Department, according to a release from police.
Police say after the woman eventually transferred money from her Madison account to a Chinese bank, thinking that she was proving her innocence.
The funds were supposed to be used to cover her college tuition.
- Wisconsin Sen. Johnson concerned about `widespread tariffs'
- Authorities: Man who crashed car had gunshot wound
- Potosi man dies after falling into pond, getting stuck in trampoline straps, officials say
- Racine officer on paid leave for more than 2 years
- Culver's donates 50 percent of Tuesday's sales to family of Capt. Cory Barr
- Madison man smashed over head with beer bottle in battery case