MADISON, Wis. - If you park often in Madison’s downtown, odds are you’ve gotten a parking ticket. Under a new city proposal you may have more time to pay it off.
Currently, drivers have 10 days to pay their ticket, before a $10 late fee is added. After 21 days parking violators receive another $10 fee.
Under the new proposal put forth by Alder Mike Tierney of District 16, the grace period would increase from 10 to 14 days and 21 to 25 days.
While it may not seem like a lot, Tierney said it's designed so people who are paid every two weeks receive another paycheck before the deadline. Tierney said he was inspired by a similar ordinance passed in Milwaukee.
The proposal gained unanimous support at Madison’s finance committee Monday. It will likely be taken up at the next common council meeting.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Beloit police report storm damage, power outages
- Man threatens victim with butcher knife, vehicle
- Police: Man killed in a shooting on Milwaukee's north side
- Stuck in detention: For immigrants without lawyers, justice is hard to find
- Expert predicts more Wisconsin frac sand mines may close
- Police: Woman battered, shots fired downtown overnight