MT HOREB, Wis. - Tyrol Basin Family Ski and Snowboard Area will be opening two weeks ahead of schedule this weekend, because of the cold weather conditions.
The ski hill was projected to open Nov. 25, but the conditions this weekend made it possible for the hill to open early this year.
"We usually shoot for the weekend after Thanksgiving," a representative from Tyrol Basin said. "But whenever it gets cold enough we try to open."
To make snow the temperature has to be below freezing, but the hill was also looking at factors of cloud cover and humidity when they made the decision to open.
One slope hill and one chair lift will be open Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sheriff's office: Beloit man says he didn't kill woman, but disposed of body about 4 miles away
- Complaint: Beloit man bathes dog in boiling water
- Dane County helps low-income families with digital literacy program
- Major railway renovation on Monona Bay
- OnStar leads police to teen car thief; community warned of growing trend
- Gov. Walker pushes 'See Something, Say Something' campaign