MADISON, Wis. - Truckers are protesting a federal mandate they say will be expensive and create a safety risk for them.
Earlier Monday, truckers drove around the Capitol to protest a new law that will require all truckers to have electronic logging devices, or ELDs, installed in their vehicles.
The devices would log truckers’ daily driving hours.
The government aims for ELDs to help enforce current law allowing truckers to only drive 11 hours in a 14-hour period before taking a 10-hour break before driving again.
The goal is to prevent serious crashes caused by fatigue.
- DOC: Milwaukee prisoner escapes from a work site
- Cougar spotted on Brookfield porch, wandering southeastern Wisconsin
- UW Theta Chi chapter suspension announced Monday
- Police investigate at least 5 threats at schools in our area since the Parkland shooting
- Police: Seven people arrested in Poynette Friday after monthlong investigation
- Expelled UW-Madison student to take plea deal ahead of jury trial