MILWAUKEE - A judge has sentenced a 23-year-old man to 32 years in prison for his role in the shotgun slaying of a Milwaukee city inspector during a failed carjacking.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Eric Smiley appeared in court Friday and is the last of three men sentenced for the murder of 64-year-old Greg "Ziggy" Zyszkiewicz (zihz-KAY'-vich) in 2017.
Prosecutors said Smiley was not the shooter in the murder but he was the oldest member of the group and likely acted as the ringleader.
Authorities say Zyszkiewicz was on duty with the Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood Services and was in his parked his vintage Ford Mustang when Smiley, Qhualun D. Shaw, and Deshaun K. Scott targeted him for a carjacking.
Zyszkiewicz was shot with a sawed-off shotgun.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- MPD: Motel guest opens door to find stranger with gun; other guests have purse, wallet stolen
- Drunken driver crashes into Beaver Dam school causing estimated $100K in damage, officials say
- Fire likely ignited by discarded cigarettes causes $50,000 in vehicle damage
- Lyft, MGE offer financial support to increase electric vehicle ride-sharing in Madison
- Board to hear former inmate's demand for $5.7 million
- Eau Claire man accused of threatening workplace shooting