CHETEK, Wis. - Sheriff's officials in northwestern Wisconsin have identified the teens involved in a fatal plane crash.
The Barron County Sheriff's Department said 17-year-old Owen Knutson died when the single-engine plane he was piloting crashed into a river in a rural area near Chetek Wednesday evening. An 18-year-old passenger, Hunter Gillett, was seriously injured. Chetek-Weyerhaeuser High School senior is hospitalized at Mayo in Rochester, Minnesota.
Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Thursday the plane wreckage was located in the Red Cedar River just south of Chetek. He said Knutson had taken off from a private air strip on his family's property nearby.
Fitzgerald said first responders had a difficult time locating the wreckage which was about a quarter mile from any roadway.
- Wisconsin Legislature to vote on reinsurance, tax cuts
- Snow, sleet, freezing rain making travel north of Dane County challenging
- Expelled UW-Madison student to take plea deal ahead of jury trial
- District, police investigate, mitigate threat to Baraboo High School over weekend
- Man arrested in death of 14-year-old
- 5th suspect arrested in Lac du Flambeau homicide