News

Teen father accused of causing life-threatening injuries to infant son headed to trial

MADISON, Wis. - A 19-year-old Madison man is headed to trial on a charge that he caused life-threatening injuries to his infant son last week.

James Johnson stood mute in Dane County Court Wednesday and the judge entered a not guilty plea to a charge of first-degree reckless injury.

Officers responded to Johnson’s apartment on Madison’s north side April 4 after receiving a report of a baby having a seizure.

Officials said it became apparent the 7-month-old boy had suffered life-threatening injuries.

Court documents say police found damage to two walls in the bedroom of the home, and one appeared to have a hair embedded in it. 

After doctors determined the baby's injuries were non-accidental, a child-abuse pediatrician examined the boy. The doctor found two complex skull fractures and three rib fractures that appeared to be more than 10 days old. The baby was diagnosed with physical abuse of a child and abusive head trauma, according to the complaint.

Documents show Johnson told the officer, “I tossed him on the bed and he hit the wall” and admitted to hitting the baby with his fists multiple times. 

A future court date has not yet been scheduled.


Local And Regional News

Photo Galleries

This Week's Circulars

E-News Registration