MADISON, Wis. - Several people, including a baby, were asleep when a stray bullet whizzed through the patio door of their apartment.
The incident happened around 4 a.m. Saturday at an apartment in the 500 block of Northport Drive, according to Joel DeSpain, a spokesperson for the Madison Police Department.
The bullet nearly hit a couple of teens sleeping in the living room, DeSpain said, before it ended up lodged in a wall.
Had it come out the other side, police said it would have struck a woman and a 1-year-old child.
Two shell casings were found in a traffic lane of Northport Drive, police said.
Officers do not believe those inside the apartment were targeted.
Several days ago, a stray bullet grazed a Madison woman while she slept. She suffered a minor injury to an arm. That woman also lived on the north side, at an apartment on Kennedy Road.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Sheriff: 13-year-old on GPS monitoring was driver in high-speed chase that ended in Columbia County
Police: Janesville man who drove on curbs, damaged public property arrested for 8th OWI
- Police: Janesville man who drove on curbs, damaged public property arrested for 8th OWI
- DNC delegations won't stay in Madison, but party chair says visitors will
- Fennimore man faces 3 charges of sexual assault involving 3 children
- Dane County uses snow plow simulator to prepare drivers for winter
- Dane County Medical Examiner identifies Madison's first homicide victim of 2019
- Beaver Dam Middle School closes indefinitely following crash into building