GREEN BAY, Wis. - Cassandra Nygren, the daughter of Marinette State Rep. John Nygren, is in the Brown County Jail facing several drug related charges, according to CBS affiliate WFRV in Green Bay.
Jail records show Nygren was booked on two counts of first-degree reckless homicide/deliver drugs in addition to other counts of manufacturing heroin and child neglect.
John Nygren said his daughter's arrest is an example of "the disastrous and destructive consequences" of addiction and a "strong reminder of how fragile the road to recovery is."
Cassandra Nygren became the focus of fighting the growing heroin epidemic in Wisconsin, led by her father, John Nygren. He was instrumental in passing laws to deal with the battle of opioid and heroin addiction in the state.
Nygren also extended condolences for the loss of life. In a statement, he said, "There are no words that we as a family can offer to give any real comfort for this tragic loss."
Cassandra Nygren is due in Brown County Court Thursday.
It wasn't clear whether his daughter had an attorney to comment on the allegations.
- Floodwaters cover Main Street in Darlington
- UW announces news anchor David Muir will be the spring commencement speaker
- Construction crew cuts Charter fiber, causes outages
- Cook pleads guilty to 5 of 23 charges in serial sex assaults case
- Officials ID man with potentially explosive chemicals in apartment
- Investigators release 2nd surveillance video in car fires investigation