BELOIT, Wis. - A critter is likely the cause of a blown transformer that caused a brief scare in Beloit Friday morning.
The City of Beloit Police Department said officers responded to a report of a shot fired near Todd Elementary School on Oakwood Avenue.
Officers were in the area as the call came in, and quickly discovered that the noise wasn't gunfire but instead a transformer on a power pole that had exploded.
"It happens, and is usually the result of a courageous, squirrel touching the wrong part of a power line," Beloit police posted on its Facebook page Friday morning.
Todd Elementary School parents received a call at about 7:45 a.m. Friday notifying them of a lockdown that lasted only a few minutes, police said.
- Police collect former head of Democratic Party's DNA in overdose death investigation
- Woman charged in 3 infant deaths from the '80s, says she 'can't take kids that constantly cry'
- Sun Prairie High wants to end 'demeaning' student ranking tradition
- Janesville man admits to setting his own home on fire
- Man who shot woman on interstate petitions for release from mental institution
- Milwaukee man gets life without parole in triple-homicide