JANESVILLE, Wis. - A power outage in Janesville Friday caused by a squirrel has left two elementary schools without power.
Jefferson and Roosevelt elementary schools are currently without power, but district officials said classes are continuing, lunch is still being served and schools are making accommodations to keep students and staff safe.
Alliant Energy officials said the squirrel caused the transformer to blow, leaving about 1,600 customers without power in Janesville. The outage is expected to be resolved before 2 p.m.
St. Paul's Church in Janesville is dismissing students from daycare and asking parent to pickup their student at their earliest convenience, according to the church's Facebook page.
- Dane County fugitive wanted on kidnapping, sexual assault, more charges arrested in Austria
- Investigation Discovery show to share story of Madison murder of Caroline Nosal
- 'It's been the honor of my life': Paul Ryan thanks constituents from 1st Congressional District
- Madison woman shares details of being carjacked, forced to drive to Indiana
- Police: Carjacker forced Madison woman to drive him to Indiana, where she escaped
- Surveillance images of man wanted in Madison bank robbery released