SPARTA, Wis. - For the first time, a woman will serve as the police chief of the Sparta Police Department.
The city's Police and Fire Commission approved Deputy Chief Emilee Nottestand to fill the position.
The recommendation now moves to the Finance Committee and City Council for confirmation, according to current Chief Dave Kuderer, who is set to retire in early January.
Nottestad has been with the department since 2015. She joined as a lieutenant before being promoted to deputy chief.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Milwaukee officer, four others injured after police chase
- All lanes open on Highway 14 at South Valley Road in Black Earth after crash
- Students in esports championship focus on leadership over competition
- Victim dies after shooting on Madison's south side
- Wisconsin Volleyball advances to Final Four
- Hundreds of wreaths laid in Madison for Wreaths Across America Day