MADISON, Wis. - An resident of a duplex where a basement fire broke out Tuesday was displaced from the home due to smoke damage, officials said.
Firefighters were sent to the fire on the 7800 block of Courtyard Drive around 4 p.m., according to a release from the Madison Fire Department
The owner of the duplex told firefighters that the fire was in the basement. When firefighters arrived they were met with thick black smoke, according to the release.
They stretched out a hose, entered the home and descended to the basement to attack the fire. The firefighters knocked down the fire around 4:20 p.m. Crews then went over the area and ensure the fire was completely out, officials said.
Firefighters stayed at the duplex to oversee ventilation operations, which were complicated by the lack of windows in the basement.
The fire was caused by a failure in a dehumidifier that was running in the basement, fire officials said Wednesday morning. The appliance caught fire, and the fire spread to nearby combustible materials. Damages are estimated at $50,000.
- Police: Woman believes her drink was drugged after online date
- Wisconsin program hopes to spark interest in hunting
- Summit for black boys and young men teaches ways to succeed
- Madison Nordic Ski Club to host early season race and open ski event
- Sheriff's office: Beloit man says he didn't kill woman, but disposed of body about 4 miles away
- Complaint: Beloit man bathes dog in boiling water