MADISON, Wis. - The Dane County Sheriff's Office is offering a fraud prevention presentation Oct. 23, after law enforcement agencies saw a significant spike in telephone and email scams in recent years.
According to a release, victims have been duped out of thousands of dollars by scammers. The scammers can be hard to stop since many are overseas and use untraceable phone numbers. The Sheriff's Office said the best way to avoid falling for scams is to become educated on the tactics.
The presentation is free and geared toward adults. It will be at the Mazomanie Police Department from 6 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- PFC names Wahl official acting chief as search for permanent replacement begins
- Texas man suspected of killing girlfriend, infant daughter who moved from Wisconsin to be with him
- Schoep's Ice Cream Co. files for receivership
- City leaders address pedestrian safety on the isthmus
- Darlington police chief who was forgotten for the last 86 years to be honored for line-of-duty death
- Sun Prairie cutting down voter wait time by doubling up on polling places