PLATTEVILLE, Wis. - Two hospitals are warning residents about a new scam that is being sent directly to people's cellphones.
Southwest Health said the scammer sends a text saying that a relative is at the hospital.
"Paul this is Platteville hospital messaging," an example of the scam said. "Your relatives is with us now. Condition is worrying. You should call us asap."
Officials with the hospital said Southwest Health will not message you about an ill family member.
Monroe Ckinic also warned about the scam. Their example uses a neighbor instead of a relative.
"Crystal this is Monroe hospital texting," the example says. "Your neighbour is with us now. Condition was unknown. You please ring us here."
Both examples included links.
Both hospitals said that if you receive one of these texts, you should delete it. Do not click the link or reply to the text.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
Woman goes to release turtle, car ends up in Rock River, dispatch says
Woman awakens to find burglar in apartment, reports missing debit card, police say
- Woman awakens to find burglar in apartment, reports missing debit card, police say
- Police: Man covers up gambling loss by claiming he was robbed
- County board members propose renaming Squaw Bay on Lake Monona
- Woman suffers chipped teeth, fat lip in road rage incident
- Woman pleads not guilty in death of emaciated 16-year-old son
- Madison restaurant where fire broke out didn't have automatic sprinkler system, fire officials say