PRAIRIE DU SAC, Wis. - The Sauk County dive team has suspended its search for a 53-year-old father of three.
The man went missing around 9 a.m. Saturday just below the Prairie du Sac dam after trying to save his three children in the Wisconsin River. The Sauk County Sheriff’s Office said the kids swam out too far but eventually made it back to shore with their mother.
Alliant Energy lowered the dam flow to allow divers to search from before 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., when divers were too exhausted to continue safely.
Dive team has wrapped up for the night. Sauk County chief deputy said the agency ran out of divers (they’ve been working in rough conditions since before 10 a.m.) and it’s too late for assisting agencies to get here before dark. Recovery will resume tomorrow at 9 a.m. #News3Now— Amy Reid (@amyreidreports) July 13, 2019
Family members waited with clergy while the search went on.
Chief Deputy Jeff Spencer said the spot the man went missing is especially dangerous because of its proximity to the dam, but people should be cautious swimming at any point on the Wisconsin River.
“It’s very unpredictable,” Spencer said. “It’s a very strong current that will take people away, and I don’t think people understand and respect that.”
Sauk County divers will regroup Sunday at 9 a.m. and plan to be in the water by 10 a.m. to resume recovery efforts.
Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.
- Beltline reduced to 2 lanes at Fish Hatchery Road this weekend; DOT warns of traffic delays
- As Culver's celebrate 35 years, founders say they never dreamed restaurant would grow this big
- Ho-Chunk Nation responds to proposed Hard Rock casino: 'It's going to make the region a powerhouse'
- Construction workers want drivers to slow down and get rid of distractions
- Man sentenced to 21 months in prison, nearly $63K restitution for credit card fraud
- Authorities arrest second suspect in Madison attempted homicide, police say